Interaction Design Researcher | Installation Artist
Interaction Design Researcher, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, Design and Media Technology, Aalborg University, Denmark.
My main research interest is in tangible, urban and pervasive computing, with a focus on invigorating participation as situated play in open-ended environments: installations, AR/ MR and interactive cultural environments.
Havnen 12, Hals 9370, Denmark
morrison [at] create.aau.dk
ann.morrison [at] acm.org
More info on MapLens environmental awareness pervasive open-ended game: http://www.hiit.fi/node/507
Info on workshops MR/ AR and Evaluation, Multitouch
Full Curriculum Vitae (& exhibitions) [pdf]
PhD thesis "Situated play in open-ended interactive art environments" here [pdf: 10.3 MB]
Previous Talk2Me and The Word: The Wall
- Current August 2010-Present: Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, Design and Media Technology, Aalborg University, Denmark.
- Working on Urban Vibrations Project with wearable computing, interaction design of bendable computing, vibration sensitivity range and mobility.
- Previous: IPCity Project Manager: EU funded Sixth Framework (2006-2009, FET EU IST) programme Integrated project on Interaction and Presence in
- Urban Environments, includes CityWall and MapLens.
- 2010 Deliverables: Field Trial Evaluation for MapLens[pdf(3MB)], Redesign for MapLens and CityWall [pdf (3.5 MB)], Final Report [ pdf (11.8 MB)].
- Mobile Augmented Reality and Context in Urban Settings (MARCUS) Marie Curie Actions People International Research Staff Exchange Scheme with FIT, TUGraz, TKK, HitLabNZ, UOtago.
Publications:Peer reviewed conference/journal papers/book chapters
- Morrison, A., Viller, S., Mitchell, P. Open-ended art environments motivate participation, In Proceedings of ACM International Conference on Advances in Computer Technology, ACE 2011 (ACM Press, 2011).
- Morrison, A, Mulloni, A., Oulasvirta, A, Jacucci, G, Lemmelä, S., Peltonen, P, Regenbrecht, H., & Schmalsteig, D. Collaborative use of mobile augmented reality with paper maps, Computers & Graphics, Special Edition on Mobile AR, 2011.
- Morrison, A., Viller. S., and Mitchell, P. (2011). Building Sensitising Terms to Understand Free-play in Open-ended Interactive Art Environments, In proceedings CHI 2011, ACM Press 2011.
- Morrison, A, Viller, S & Mitchell, P. Ethnography considered useful: situating criticality, OzCHI 2010, Brisbane 2010 (ACM Press 2010) [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann. PhD thesis "Situated play in open-ended interactive art environments" [pdf: 10.3 MB]
- Jacucci, G., Morrison, A., Richardson, G., Kleimola, J., Laitinen, T. and Peltonen, P. Worlds of Information: Designing for Engagement at a Public Multi-touch Display ACM CHI 2010. [pdf]
- Jacucci, G., Peltonen, P., Morrison, A., Salovaara, A.,Kurvinen, E., & Oulasvirta, A. (2009) Ubiquitous media for collocated interaction. In Willis, K. (Ed.), Shared Encounters. Springer Series on CSCW.[pdf]
- Jacucci, G., Spagnolli, A., Chalambalakis, A., Morrison, A., Liikkanen, L., Roveda S., Bertoncini, M., Bodily Explorations in Space: Social Experience of a Multimodal Art Installation, Interact 2009. [pdf]
- Wagner, I., Broll, W., Jacucci, G., Kuutii, K., McCall, R., Morrison, A., Schmalstieg, D., Terrin, J-J. (2009), On the Role of Presence in Mixed Reality, PRESENCE special issue from RAVE'09, MIT Press. [pdf]
- Morrison, A., Oulasvirta, A., Peltonen, P., Jacucci, G., Lemella, S., Reitmayr, G., Nasanen, J., & Juustila, A. Like Bees Around the Hive: A Comparative Study of a Mobile Augmented Reality Map. CHI 2009. Nominated For Best Paper Award.[pdf]
- Morrison, Ann, Peta Mitchell, and Stephen Viller. Evoking Gesture in Interactive Art. Proceedings of the 2008 ACM International Conference on Multimedia. New York: ACM Press, 2008. [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann, Mitchell, Peta & Brereton, Margot (2007). The Lens of Ludic Engagement: Evaluating Participation in Interactive Art Installations. ACM Multimedia 2007, Augsburg, Germany. [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann, Mitchell, Peta & Muhlberger, M. (2006) Talk2Me: The Art of Augmenting Conversation.ACM Multimedia (ACM2006) Interactive Arts Program, Conference Track. Oct 22-28, 2006, Santa Barbara, California, USA. [pdf]
- Baharin, Hanif & Morrison, Ann (2006). Eliciting Audience's Experience to Improve Interactive Art Installation. Engage 4th International Symposium, Creativity and Cognition Studios at the University of Technology, Sydney, November. [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann, MacDonald, L, MacColl, I, & Simpson, M. (2006) The Pedagogical Practice of Locative Experiences. LEA Locative Media Special Issue [pdf]
- Turner, Jane & Morrison, Ann (2005) Suit Keen Renovator: Alternate Reality Design. The Second Australasian Conference on Interactive Entertainment (IE2005), Sydney, (ACM Press, 2005). [pdf]
- MacColl, I, Morrison, A, Viller, S, Malburger, R, Simpson, M, & Wyeld, T. (2005) Reflections on reflection: Blogging in undergraduate design studios. Blogtalk Down Under, Conference, Sydney May 2005. [pdf]
Peer reviewed publications: workshop papers
- Peltonen, P, Morrison, A., Jacucci, G., Kurvinen, E. and Lemmelä, S. Evaluation of Embodied Interaction: Comparing a Public Trial to a Pervasive Game, ACM CHI 2011 workshop.
- Morrison, A and Salovaara, A. Sustaining Engagement at a Public Urban Display. Situated Large Displays Workshop, Dec 5-12, Australian CHI, OZCHI 2008, Cairns 2008. [pdf]
- Morrison, A and Salovaara, A. Sustaining Engagement at Public Shared Interfaces. ShareIT -Shareable Interfaces for Learning Workshop 2008, 11-12 September, Sussex 2008. [pdf]
- Morrison, A. The Long Way Home. British HCI workshop: Critical Issues in Interaction Design, Liverpool, September 1-5, 2008. [pdf]
- Morrison, A., Jacucci, G., Peltonen, P., Juustila, A., Reitmayr, G. (2008). Using locative games to evaluate hybrid technology. Evaluating Player Experiences in Location Aware Games workshop, British HCI 2008. Liverpool, September 2008. [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann, Jacucci, Giulio, Peltonen, Peter. (2008) CityWall: Limitations of a Multi-Touch Environment. Public and Private Displays workshop (PPD 08)AVI 2008: the International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces, Naples May, 2008. [pdf]
- Viller, Stephen & Morrison, Ann (2007). I don't get out of bed unless my PIM tells me to. International workshop on social interaction and mundane technologies (simtech), Melbourne November, 2007. [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann, (2007) Talk2Me: Engaging Interactive Environments. Graduate Symposium Presentation and ACM Publication Proceedings Creativity and Cognition Conference, Washington DC, USA. [pdf]
- Morrison, Ann & Mitchell, Peta (2006). Artefact and Iteration: circular entanglements. Human Dimensions M Workshop: The object of interaction - the role of artefacts in interaction design, OZCHI 2006, UTS, Sydney. [pdf]
- Morrison, A & Simpson, M. (2005) The Practice of Locative Experiences. Workshop Digital Arts and Culture Conference 2005 (DAC2005), Copenhagen November, 2005. [pdf]
Research Funding, Creative Awards, Travel Awards and Studios
Organiser Conference Workshops
- Obel Foundation, Denmark, Minor Laboratory Founding Grant for Wearable Technology, 2011.
- Obel Foundation, Denmark, Travel grants 2010, 2011.
- Marie Curie Fellow for Mobile Augmented Reality and Context in Urban Settings (MARCUS) researcher exchange, 2009-2010, HIIT, FIT, TUGraz, UOtago, HitLabNZ.
- Nominated for Best Paper Award CHI2009: Morrison, A., Oulasvirta, A., Peltonen, P., Jacucci, G., Lemella, S., Reitmayr, G., Nasanen, J., & Juustila, A. Like Bees Around the Hive: A Comparative Study of a Mobile Augmented Reality Map. CHI 2009. Nominated For Best Paper Award. In Proc. of the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems (CHI'09), ACM Press, New York.
- ACM Multimedia 2007 Travel Grant (ACM MM2007) Augsburg, Germany.
- [braccetto] consultancy with HxI national initiative, HSC workshop, ACID, 2007.
- Creativity and Cognition 2007, Washington DC, Student Symposium Travel Grant.
- ACM Multimedia 2006 Travel Grant (ACM MM2006), Santa Barbara USA.
- iRoom project (coaching UQ and Stanford teams in re-configurable spaces) ACID, 2006-2007.
- Apple World Wide Developers Conference Allocated Scholarship (WWDC2006)
- Apple Australian Universities Consortium AUC Cocoa Workshop Grant (AUC2006)
- University of Queensland (UQ) Staff Research Start Up Fund Interactive Triggering Immersive Environments (dome project), 2005-2006.
- Researcher in ACID Media Station Project, 2004-2006.
- Researcher in ACID (2004) Location Based Games Project, (LBG).
- Workshop: Building with Natural Materials, Tucson, Arizona, 2004.
- University of Western Sydney (UWS) Research Funding for running project at Koeln International School of Design, Germany and Malmo University, Sweden Exchange, 2003.
- UWS Research Grant, Digital Arts and Culture Conference 2003 (DAC2003), Melbourne, Australia.
- UWS Research Grant, Documenta 11, Kassel, Germany, 2003.
- Studio, Cite des Artes Internationale, Paris, 2002.
- Conference and Workshop Fund, Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT), 2000.
- Conference and Workshop Fund, Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT), 1996.
- Pat Corrigan Grant, National Association for Visual Artists (NAVA), Australia Council, 1992.
- Cultural Grant, Union of University of Sydney, 1992.
- Pat Corrigan Grant, National Association for Visual Artists (NAVA), Australia Council, 1992.
- Large Creative Development Grant, Performing Arts Board, Australia Council, 1991.
- Studio, Cite des Artes Internationale, Paris, 1991.
- Large Project Grant, Performing Arts Board, Australia Council, 1990.
Natural User Interfaces Workshop
at CHI2010. Co-organisers of
workshop Giulio Jacucci,
HIIT, Ann Morrison, HIIT, Steve Seow, Microsoft
Surface, Dennis Wixon, Microsoft Surface.
Multitouch and Surface Computing Workshop at CHI2009. Co-organised with Steven C Seow, Microsoft Corporation, Dennis Wixon, Microsoft Corporation, Giulio Jacucci, HIIT, Ann Morrison, HIIT, Scott MacKenzie.
Program committee ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (ITS 2010, ITS2011)
Reviewer for conferences and journals
CHI 2010-2012, Interact 2011, TEI 2011, Pervasive 2011, ITS 2010-2011, IJHCS 2011, CSCW 2010-2011, ACE 2010-2011, Interacting with computers 2010, ACM Multimedia 2010-2011, International Journal of Arts and Technology 2010, International Journal of HCS 2010-2011; IEEE Journal of Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 2010, ISMAR 2009-2010, Interact 2009-2011, ACM Computers in Entertainment 2008, Psychnology Journal 2008, Joint Virtual Reality Conference of EGVE 2008, OZCHI 2007-2011.